Monday, May 4, 2009

Don't Call Me Sweetheart: The Frightening World of Feminist Blogs

It was difficult finding a feminist blog entry to respond to. After Googling ‘feminist blog’ I clicked on the first link and was directed to a page titled femenisting.com. The most recent post was a collection of letters to one Professor Foxy titled “Ask Professor Foxy: Masturbation, Threesomes, and Lube Oh My!” This wasn’t quite what I was looking for, and seeing as there was no information detailing Professor Foxy’s credentials, I sought to find a more academic blog.

The next google link brought me to feministblogs.org. The title page had a video link to a 1988 live performance of Metallica’s ‘For Whom the Bell Tolls’ with the caption '20 years ago…when I was young and drunk.’ Tough to respond to that. At http://finallyfeminism101.blogspot.com/ the first post was titled, “How is asking the question ‘Why are there no fat elves in Dungeons and Dragons’ offensive to feminists?” There was also a link to website promising ‘Hot Guys in Flu Masks’. Redneck Femenist: A Free Market Femenist Blog had a subheading stating, "If you don't get the title of this blog, you probably shouldn't read it." I didn't understand the title, and, heeding her advice, moved on.

After traversing the frightening world of feminist blogging, I've come to the conclusion that feminism needs something to rally behind. I’m not saying that the feminist movement is dead, but if these blogs are any indication, the movement is somewhat scattered. What does the modern day feminist represent? I don’t know. What are the causes that feminists around the world are fighting for? I’m not sure. Equal pay maybe? The objectification of women? Having a link to hot guys in flu masks would certainly put a few holes in that argument.

I don’t even know if sexism still exists. It certainly doesn’t in my world, and if it does, I’m not aware of it. So if there are real problems out there concerning sexism and feminism, feminists need to make people aware of them. I tried to become aware, to educate myself, and all I found was a hodge podge of links, each one more point less than the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment