Sunday, May 3, 2009

Is 'I Don't Care' An Acceptable Answer?

I read multiple entry’s in The Environmental Blog, looking for one to respond to. There were entry’s regarding high mercury levels in fish, using coffee as a potential source of bio-fuel, how Denmark is sick at using renewable energy, and the benefits of buying recycled toilet paper. I kept reading, looking for something that I felt strongly enough about to write about. After ten minutes I realized I really don’t have an opinion on the environment. I just don’t really care. I saw “An Inconvenient Truth.” I was unmoved.

I just can’t look that far down the road. There are so many problems in the world right now that need fixing, addressing environmental problems just doesn’t seem that important to me. In my book it falls somewhere between curing childhood obesity and addressing poor officiating in NBA playoff games. I can’t get worked up about saving the planet when 6% of Africa has AIDS. Why waste resources recycling toilet paper when you could be providing contraception to help stop teenage pregnancy? Or feed the homeless? I’m not that I’m against the environmentalist movement, it’s just that I don’t really care.

No comments:

Post a Comment